I couldn’t agree more with this letter from The Age, 13/12:
20 days of excess
I CANNOT attend the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival when I know of the droughts and starvation in eastern Africa, the rising rates of obesity in Australia, and the families in my community who struggle to keep food on the table.
The conundrums and contradictions make me feel queasy, yet alone the thought of all those leftovers going to waste. We don’t need 20 days of excesses.
When it comes to food and wine, keep it simple, grow as much of your own as possible and buy local produce. Food is for sharing with family and friends, not for public display of one’s gastronomic prowess. I am no wowser. Slow and humble eating gets my juices going.
– Deborah Wardle, Castlemaine
I like eating but dislike cooking, which is just a mundane chore to me (in the same category as vacuuming). The amount of cooking shows on Australian TV channels has reached ridiculous levels; at least 10 on the main 5 channels during one week! I really can’t understand the fascination with these.