29 September 2010

Crap art

Literally in this case… Article from a local newspaper:

Student’s controversial body of work

An exhibition featuring an artist’s own faeces is set to divide patrons at a Moorabbin gallery. Student artist Georgie Mattingley’s works, some of which feature brightly coloured excrement, will go on display at the Kingston Arts Centre next month. But art experts rejected suggestions the exhibition, Life is Delicious, was a grab for notoriety.

The exhibition’s centrepiece is a series of resin spheres containing Mattingley’s faeces, along with flowers, leaves and crystals. The Monash University student, 21, said she became fascinated with altering the colour of her excrement when she was 13, and the exhibition was an exploration of the “beauty in the mundane process of eating and consuming in our everyday lives”.

“I’ve done everything I can to turn something so vulgar and repulsive into something so beautiful and spiritual,” she said.

RMIT associate professor Linda Williams said there was merit to Mattingley’s work. “She is, I think, trying to reclaim the idea that bodily processes are not something to be ashamed of,” Ms Williams said.

Life is Delicious is at Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin, from October 7-19. Entry is free.

Words fail me…surely this must be a joke? Calling this exhibition “art” is another sign that the collapse of this decadent civilization is not far away! And artists wonder why the general public can be reluctant to increase elite arts funding?

I’m just trying not to think too much about how she got samples!