Saw Avatar today. As I am not good at writing reviews, some random thoughts:
- I liked the space scenes with the cryogenic chamber and spaceship.
- The hologram computer display screens looked cool!
- The movie did seem very rushed, as many have commented (there were scenes cut out). I don’t think my bladder could have endured much longer, though! (Drinking a coffee before I went in probably didn’t help…) I was getting rather fidgety toward the end as the Last Battle scene did drag on a bit.
- There were a few mawkishly predictable scenes (particularly with the Na’vi, who embody every Noble Savage cliche there is – see also Mighty Whitey and Chief’s Daughter) and quotes (“You are not in Kansas anymore…”and “Get out of Dodge” – will people still be saying that in the 22nd century?).
- WTF is with the smoking?? Not a good image (especially considering there are younger children in the audience).
- The CGI was totally convincing – I could not discern between it and real people. The Na’vi looked real.
- The bioluminescent jungle was awesome! I think most people in the audience loved those scenes.
- Coming out into mundane reality afterwards really sucked.
Non-specific-movie related:
- The 3D did not bother me much at all, despite wearing prescription glasses under the 3D glasses. I found it easier to view if I didn’t try to focus too hard.
- I do wish food could be banned from cinemas (though as they profit from it, that isn’t likely); the person next to me was chowing down stinky popcorn for most of the movie, and I wanted to snatch it off him and dump it over his head! If people can’t go 2 or 3 hours without eating, they are in serious need of help.
In general, though, I enjoyed the movie. It was very different from District 9, and the two can’t really be compared (aside from the basic scenario of a man siding with aliens, which I have no issue with). D9 was more original in plot.
Those of a Conservative political view are taking great offense to Avatar, mainly because of its pro-environmental, “Humans Are Bastards” theme. According to them, environmentalist = Communist. While the message was not too subtle, caring for the environment and not trashing it would surely be just basic common sense (i.e. not fouling one’s own nest, especially the only habitable nest we know of), a view that should transcend politics. I might also add a big “F*ck you” to novelist John C. Wright and his sycophants (and all others of similar views); he has predictable taken offense to the movie’s themes, being a Conservative/Catholic. (I really shouldn’t visit his Livejournal as it tends to raise my blood pressure…)