Got an email saying the Australian version of the Geocities free website hosting is closing on 26 October. I started my first website there in 2003, so I feel a bit sad about it, though the website space (15 MB) and bandwidth provided seems hopelessly inadequate now. I could create and upload pages with no interference with my HTML code. Other free hosts now seem to assume people don’t want to use HTML code and have a “website for dummies” interface, which I find irritating. Google Sites, for example, has 100 MB of space but it does not allow users to FTP-upload their own pages from their computer, and images can only be uploaded one at a time, so it is inadequate.
My lower back still is sore (4/7/2009 entry); the outside of my left leg also goes numb if I lie on it for some time. It has been doing that since around the time of my first operation; it seems to have become more pronounced since my second. I feel like I have aged 10 years or so since last year! I also underwent the delightful chore of having my right ear syringed after becoming blocked on 10/7 (same happened to it in March last year). Ever since I had the flu in June 1997 (my one and only bout of it so far), that ear has not been quite right. All I need now is to get swine flu!
I was looking at the prices for a small graphics tablet – but the cheapest (and smallest) is just under $200! It would be nice to have one to touch up or enhance my scanned-in drawings (a mouse is hopelessly clumsy), but it’s out of the question at that price.