27 June 2009

A proper blog

I decided to delete my manual HTML journal at my main site, as it had become cumbersome and I wish to start afresh. Mid-year is as good a time as any to do this. A blog with search and tagging functions is easier to navigate, and there is no way I wish to attempt copying, pasting and tagging 5 years’ worth of entries into a content-management system! (Does anyone go back and read them, anyway? I rarely do, though I wrote a few good entries.) There’s also the question of how much of myself should I put online? I do keep in mind that I am writing public entries.

I probably won’t write very often as I have not felt like it recently (all I have done in the last year or so is whinge about my health travails!), and my real life is very limited and boring. This blog is for general ramblings; the other two are more focused on specific topics. I named it “Suzy’s Space” as it is my personal space (insipid, but I am not good at thinking up clever titles).

I have been dithering for ages about whether to use Blogger or Wordpress; the compromise is to keep accounts at both! Both have good and bad points (with Blogger, I can edit the HTML and CSS code which I can’t at WP unless I have a paid account – which I don’t, and have no means to. WP has a better layout, administration and comments management, and extra pages can be added, but it can be slow and cumbersome. Both Blogger and WP can be exported as backups).

I had a lot of trouble trying to get the header background image to display for the “Suzy’s Space” Blogger template, though I had no problems with the other blogs; after much frustration I found that I had to remove the “s1600-h/” from the image URL, which the other header images didn’t have: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgVX4CUA4X45cGOg8t8RPamyyEnWMu4eX-jOsPia0hTeRoDSP3evPoYLYm5GMOzs7ZSPniJCYdcj46ezzHzmHT_OkZWYrRYgEPSJRjkDDBnqsp4SNfE3ClLQM8QxY62jo5-rB_tU-7ccT4/s1600-h/blogger-header-ss.jpg. Weird! I am using the older blog template; the newer version is irritating to try to edit manually (uses a lot of custom code).

I realized that I have not changed the design of my main website since 2007 or so! I lost interest in tweaking it; the design is simple and uninspired, but not unpleasing. I code the pages myself; I like to have complete control!